Full Time Seasonal or Year Round
Upswing Farm is seeking a motivated grower interested in managing the cut-flower portion of our business. We currently sell an average of 120 bouquets each week for a 12 week season, with reduced sales of 40-60 bouquets in the 2-3 weeks on either end of that season. We also fill special orders, but this currently makes up a tiny fraction of total sales. Bouquets are sold through our flower CSA, retail during CSA pick up, and at our farmer’s market.
We have fairly extensive “vegetable style” cut flower growing experience, and have been growing and selling flowers for many years. We have chosen to focus our energy on vegetable production. The ideal candidate for this position will have enough experience that they can manage effectively on their own with weekly check-in’s, but we can provide input and training as needed for the right candidate. There is abundant opportunity to expand and diversify the cut-flower enterprise.
This position could potentially grow into a year-round position as soon as this year, either through expanding the flower operation and/or it could be complimented with year-round work that supports the vegetable operation to create full time employment.
About Flowers on Our Farm: We are primarily a produce operation. Flowers have been an inescapable side enterprise since the inception of our business. Even in 2017, when Brittany gave birth in January and planned to skip flowers for the year, we still ended up with a 1/4 acre of flowers selling 80 bouquets/week. We are happy to have flowers in the field and on the stand, and don’t need the enterprise to do more than cover it’s own costs (supplies and labor) and contribute a little bit to overhead. But, we also know it could be so much more, and are eager to work with candidates who want to carry the enterprise to new levels.
– manage the implementation of all aspects of the crop plan, in collaboration with the rest of the farm team, including: seedling production, planting, weeding, mulching, trellising, pinching and deadheading as needed
– manage harvest and arranging to ensure a high quality product
– scout for pest and disease issues and develop and implement a management plan with the farm manager
– maintain all tools, equipment and space used by the flower operation
– keep clear planting and harvest records
– 3+ years full season production experience, preferably with extensive cut-flower experience
– Ability to work independently and efficiently
– Ability to effectively plan and implement a harvest and pack schedule
– Ability to effectively problem solve and request assistance when needed
– Knowledge of and experience with the details of growing, harvesting and handling a wide variety of annual cut-flowers, and the ability and willingness to do research as needed to fill knowledge gaps
– Experience making market bouquets
– Floral design experience a plus but not required
– Ability and willingness to lead a small crew in harvesting, planting, and arranging flowers
Our flower managers for the last two years have set their own schedules, ensuring flower are harvested at appropriate times to maintain quality, and that bouquets are ready to be distributed based on our CSA/market schedule. The flower manager typically works 40 hours/week during peak season with assistance from the vegetable team during the times when planting and harvest overlap.
Compensation: $17/hour minimum, opportunities for increased compensation based on experience, sales commissions, and/or a plan to generate revenue to support the increased compensation.
Benefits: Housing available on site, vegetables and eggs from the farm, opportunity to purchase bought in products at cost, paid participation in educational events and programming relating to cut flower production.
We want to work with the right person/people. All details are up for discussion.
To apply: Please send an email with a little bit about you, your experience and your interest in the opportunity, along with a resume and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.