Celery Root or Celeriac is packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals and is surprisingly delicious. It’s sort of a cross between celery and parsley in terms of flavor but with a potato or apple-like texture. I like to cut it into chunks or steak fry shapes and roast it with a splash of olive oil and some salt and pepper.
APPLE & ROOT VEGETABLE HASH
I love the addition of sage in this mélange of fall fruits and veggies.
BRITTANY’S FALL VEGGIE PIZZA
Choose one to two small/medium of each veggie (depending on how much you eat – I served 4 adults with about 2 pounds of veggies total):
• Chop into thin slices, like 1/4 to 1/3 inch, as if you were going to top a pizza with it. I didn’t peel the parsnip, just scrubbed, I did use a chef’s knife to cut off the outside of the celeriac/celery root (we’ve got a lot of it this year, so it would be great if you could get comfortable with this tasty weirdo – all the you-tubers were wielding some massive celery root, ours are not that big . . . I guess I’ve got goals for next year!).
• Toss with a few table spoons of olive oil in a bowl then spread evenly on a baking sheet.
• Roast in the oven until tender at 400 degrees, checking and stirring after 10 minutes. Might need 5-10 more minutes after that, but they are thin slices, so will cook fast.
• Make/buy a dough, boil/roast and mash a sweet potato to cover the top of the dough, maybe roast a garlic clove or two to mash with the sweet potato. Add the roasted veggies and sprinkle with mozzarella, bake the pizza.
• Serve with reduced balsamic vinegar and salt. This is the lynch-pin for this group. reduced balsamic vinegar (which you can make, but you can also buy).
CELERY ROOT & APPLE SOUP
Simple pureed soup topped with crispy, salty pancetta.
CELERY ROOT SALAD
Blended with frisee and radicchio and a creamy dressing.
Not sure about celery root but love a good curry? This is a great way to try it.
RUTABAGA, CELERY ROOT AND POTATO GRATIN
A fun twist on a traditional gratin.